Iran’s Raisi links ‘riots’ to Shiraz shrine attack | ISIL/ISIS News

Iran’s President Raisi promised a ‘extreme response’ following the Shiraz shrine assault, in an obvious try to hyperlink it to ongoing anti-government protests.

Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi has stated that “riots” pave the best way for “terror” assaults, a day after a lethal assault on a shrine within the southern metropolis of Shiraz was claimed by ISIL (ISIS).

“The intention of the enemy is to disrupt the nation’s progress, after which these riots pave the bottom for terrorist acts,” he stated in televised remarks on Thursday, in an obvious try to hyperlink the shrine assault to ongoing anti-government protests within the nation.

Not less than 15 folks have been killed on Wednesday in an assault on an vital Shia Muslim shrine in Shiraz, in keeping with official media.

State tv stated it was carried out by an armed attacker throughout night prayers on the Shah Cheragh shrine, and left a minimum of 19 folks wounded.

The assailant was a person “in his 30s” who had been detained by the safety forces, officers stated.

ISIL, which as soon as managed huge swaths of territory throughout Syria and Iraq, has claimed earlier violence in Iran, together with lethal twin assaults in 2017 that focused parliament and the tomb of the Islamic Republic’s founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

The commander of the nation’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps stated Iran will retaliate.

“We firmly declare: The fireplace of revenge of the folks of Iran will lastly meet up with them and punish them for his or her shameful deeds,” Hossein Salami was quoted as saying by the semi-official Tasnim information company on Wednesday.

Raisi had additionally promised “a extreme response”, and condemned “the enemies of Iran” who try to “divide the united ranks of the nation… by way of violence and terror”.

The sentiment was shared by Supreme Chief Ayatollah Khamenei, who has known as for unity after the shrine assault, saying these behind it “will certainly be punished”, state tv reported.

“All of us have an obligation to cope with the enemy and its traitorous or ignorant brokers. Safety our bodies, the judiciary, activists within the discipline of thought … and the folks should be united in opposition to …disregard for folks’s lives, safety, and sanctities,” Khamenei stated in an announcement learn on state TV.

Unrest in Iran

The shrine assault got here as hundreds of individuals paid tribute to Mahsa Amini, 40 days after her demise in police custody.

Dozens of individuals, primarily protesters but additionally members of the safety forces, have been killed throughout the unrest that was triggered by the 22-year-old’s demise on September 16 after her arrest by the morality police in Tehran for allegedly violating the nation’s strict gown code for ladies.

A whole lot of individuals, together with girls, have been arrested.

Iran’s judiciary has charged greater than 1,000 folks arrested in reference to the protests.

Not less than 4 have been charged with an offence that may carry the demise penalty, whereas others have been accused of “performing in opposition to the nation’s safety”, “propaganda” in opposition to the federal government and “assaulting safety forces”.

Officers had stated that lots of of those that weren’t concerned within the “riots” had been launched.

Salman Rushdie has lost sight in one eye after attack, says agent | Crime News

Agent says Salman Rushdie suffered ‘profound’ wounds in assault in August and has misplaced sight in a single eye and using a hand.

Salman Rushdie has misplaced sight in a single eye and using a hand following an assault on stage throughout a literary occasion in western New York in August, his agent stated.

Andrew Wylie instructed the Spanish language newspaper El Pais in an article revealed on Saturday that Rushdie, who’s 75 years previous, suffered a “brutal” assault that left him with “profound” wounds.

“He’s misplaced the sight of 1 eye … He had three critical wounds in his neck. One hand is incapacitated as a result of the nerves in his arm have been minimize. And he has about 15 extra wounds in his chest and torso,” Wylie stated.

The agent instructed the newspaper he couldn’t say whether or not Rushdie remained in a hospital or talk about his whereabouts.

“He’s going to dwell … That’s the necessary factor,” Wylie stated.

Rushdie, who had obtained a number of dying threats after the publication of his The Satanic Verses, was attacked simply as he was about to offer a lecture at Chautauqua Establishment in New York state on August 12.

The novelist was rushed to the hospital after sustaining extreme accidents within the assault, together with nerve injury in his arm, wounds to his liver, and the seemingly lack of an eye fixed, his agent stated on the time.

The assault got here 33 years after Iran’s Supreme Chief Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or non secular edict, calling on Muslims to assassinate Rushdie over the publication of The Satanic Verses.

Some Muslims noticed passages within the novel concerning the Prophet Muhammad as blasphemous.

Following Khomeini’s fatwa, Rushdie, born in India to a Muslim Kashmiri household, spent 9 years in hiding below British police safety.

Whereas Iran’s pro-reform authorities of President Mohammad Khatami distanced itself from the fatwa within the late Nineties, the multimillion-dollar bounty hanging over Rushdie’s head stored rising and the fatwa was by no means lifted.

Khomeini’s successor, Supreme Chief Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was suspended from Twitter in 2019 for saying the fatwa towards Rushdie was “irrevocable”.

Iran has denied involvement within the August assault.

The person accused of stabbing the novelist, 24-year-old Hadi Matar, has pleaded not responsible to second-degree tried homicide and assault prices.

He’s being held with out bail in a western New York jail.

The assault was alongside the traces of what Rushdie and his agent have thought was the “principal hazard … a random particular person popping out of nowhere and attacking,” Wylie instructed El Pais.

“So you may’t defend towards it as a result of it’s completely surprising and illogical,” he stated.

 

 

‘Dozens killed or injured’ in Russian attack on Zaporizhzhia | Russia-Ukraine war News

Ukraine’s army says in a single day shelling brought about extreme harm to residential buildings within the metropolis.

Dozens of individuals have been killed within the southeastern metropolis of Zaporizhzhia after the Russian army shelled the town throughout the evening, the overall workers of Ukraine’s armed forces says.

“In a single day, the Russian occupiers cynically struck the residential buildings and civil infrastructure,” the army’s central command stated on its Fb web page on Sunday.

“Details about victims is being confirmed, however it’s already identified about dozens of useless or injured.”

Earlier, metropolis official Anatoliy Kurtev stated at the very least 17 folks had been killed in an in a single day bombardment.

“On account of an in a single day missile assault on Zaporizhzhia, condo buildings and roads in a residential space of the town have been broken,” native official Anatoliy Kurtev, the secretary of the town’s administration, wrote on the Telegram messaging app.

“Right now, 17 individuals are identified to have died.”

Russia is below rising stress on the battlefield in Ukraine, the place Ukrainian forces proceed to push ahead in a counteroffensive that started within the Kharkiv area originally of final month.

On Saturday, Moscow introduced a brand new commander for the struggle, air power chief Sergey Surovikin, after final month saying the annexation of 4 occupied areas, in breach of worldwide legislation, and the mobilisation of some 300,000 reservists.

Town of Zaporizhzhia is about 125km (80 miles) from Europe’s largest nuclear energy plant, which Russia occupied shortly after invading Ukraine on February 24.

The plant misplaced its final exterior energy supply within the early hours of Saturday morning amid renewed artillery fireplace and is now reliant on emergency diesel turbines to chill the reactors and meet different security necessities.

All six reactors at Europe’s largest nuclear plant are shut down.

 

Filipino journalist Percival Mabasa shot dead in ‘brazen’ attack | Media News

The 63-year-old radio broadcaster, also called Percy Lapid, was killed close to his house in suburban Manila.

Media teams and press freedom activists within the Philippines have condemned the killing of journalist Percival Mabasa, who was fatally shot close to his house within the nation’s capital.

The 63-year-old radio broadcaster, who was also called Percy Lapid, was killed by two assailants on a bike on the gate of a residential compound within the Las Pinas space of suburban Manila on Monday evening, police stated on Tuesday.

In a press release, the Nationwide Union of Journalists of the Philippines stated Mabasa’s killing confirmed that “journalism stays a harmful career” within the nation.

“That the incident happened in Metro Manila signifies how brazen the perpetrators have been, and the way authorities have failed to guard journalists in addition to atypical residents from hurt,” it added.

Mabasa had been crucial of “red-tagging” – accusing somebody of being a communist sympathiser – in addition to on-line playing operations and misinformation round martial legislation, the union stated. He was additionally an outspoken critic of former President Rodrigo Duterte in addition to insurance policies and officers within the authorities of his successor, Ferdinand Marcos Jr, it added.

There was no rapid remark by the federal government, whereas police pledged to carry the perpetrators to account.

“We’re not discounting the likelihood that the capturing may very well be associated to the sufferer’s work in media,” native police chief Jaime Santos stated in a press release.

Mabasa’s household known as his killing a “deplorable crime” and demanded “his cowardly assassins be dropped at justice”, in line with studies.

Rights group Karapatan described him as “one of many nation’s fiercest truth-tellers”.

The Worldwide Federation of Journalists additionally condemned Mabasa’s killing and known as on the federal government to research the case.

“He’s the most recent in a protracted listing of journalists killed within the nation,” it stated.

Mabasa’s killing adopted the deadly stabbing final month of radio journalist Rey Blanco within the central Philippines.

The Philippines has one in all Asia’s most liberal media environments, however it stays of the world’s most harmful locations for journalists, notably in its provinces.

At the very least 187 journalists have been killed previously 35 years within the Philippines, in line with worldwide watchdog Reporters With out Borders, together with 32 in a single incident in 2009.