Not less than 151 killed and 82 others injured in a stampede throughout Halloween festivities within the South Korean capital.
Not less than 151 individuals have been killed in a stampede as Halloween celebrations have been underway on a slender avenue within the South Korean capital, Seoul, authorities have mentioned.
Not less than 82 others have been injured, 19 of them critically, within the crowd crush within the metropolis’s Itaewon district on Saturday night time.
Here’s what it’s good to know:
- The catastrophe occurred after about 10:00pm native time (13:00 GMT) on Saturday, after an enormous crowd celebrating Halloween thronged a slender alley within the leisure district of Itaewon.
- The primary requires assist got here at round 10:15pm (13:15 GMT), in response to the Yonhap information company.
- Greater than 800 emergency employees, together with 346 firefighters, and 140 rescue autos have been deployed to deal with the injured, hearth officers mentioned.
- Police confirmed dozens of individuals got cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the streets, whereas others have been taken to close by hospitals.
Many killed, injured
- Not less than 151 individuals have been killed, and 82 others have been injured in the course of the incident. Authorities mentioned the loss of life toll might enhance additional as emergency crews continued rescue efforts.
- “Folks have been layered on high of others like a tomb. Some have been step by step dropping their consciousness whereas some appeared lifeless by that time,” the Yonhap information company cited a witness as saying.
- Choi Seong-beom, a fireplace official, mentioned a lot of the victims have been girls and younger individuals of their 20s.
- These killed included 19 foreigners, Choi mentioned. They embrace individuals from Iran, Uzbekistan, China and Norway, he mentioned.
- A physician who administered first assist to victims described scenes of tragedy and chaos. “Once I first tried CPR there have been two victims mendacity on the pavement. However the quantity exploded quickly after, outnumbering first responders on the scene,” Lee Beom-suk advised native broadcaster YTN. “So many victims’ faces have been pale. I couldn’t catch their pulse or breath and lots of of them had a bloody nostril. Once I tried CPR, I additionally pumped blood out of their mouths.”
- A number of movies posted on social media appeared to indicate individuals performing CPR on victims mendacity on the street. Different movies appeared to indicate dozens of individuals coated with blue plastic sheets on the roadside.
- Seoul’s Metropolitan authorities mentioned it has obtained experiences about 355 lacking individuals following the gang crush.
- Al Jazeera’s Musun Kim, reporting from Seoul, mentioned many individuals within the metropolis would keep up by the night time “with a way of shock, questioning how this might have occurred”.
- South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol declared a interval of nationwide mourning on Sunday. “That is actually tragic,” he mentioned in a press release. “A tragedy and catastrophe that ought to not have occurred occurred within the coronary heart of Seoul final night time.”
- Authorities mentioned they have been investigating the precise explanation for the incident.
- Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon, who was on a go to to Europe, determined to return dwelling within the wake of the catastrophe, Yonhap reported, citing metropolis officers.
- US President Joe Biden and his spouse despatched their condolences and wrote: “We grieve with the individuals of the Republic of Korea and ship our greatest needs for a fast restoration to all those that have been injured.”
- UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak called the incident “horrific”. “All our ideas are with these at the moment responding and all South Koreans at this very distressing time”, he wrote on Twitter.