Because the Russia-Ukraine conflict enters its 298th day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Sunday, December 18.
- Ukraine has restored energy to virtually six million folks within the final 24 hours after a barrage of Russian missiles on Friday broken vital power infrastructure throughout the nation, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned.
- Poland’s police chief mentioned the explosion that left him hospitalised final week was brought on by a grenade launcher he had acquired as a present from Ukraine.
- Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu inspected troops concerned in Moscow’s “particular navy operation” in Ukraine, the defence ministry mentioned.
- President Vladimir Putin sought proposals from the commanders of his armed forces on how they suppose Russia’s navy marketing campaign in Ukraine ought to proceed, throughout a go to to the operation’s headquarters, the Kremlin mentioned.
- Russia’s defence ministry mentioned its “high-precision” weapons hit components of Ukraine’s military-industrial complicated and power and navy administrative amenities on Friday.
- A defend is being arrange over a storage website for spent nuclear waste on the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Energy Plant in southern Ukraine to guard it from shelling and drones, a Russian-installed official mentioned.
- The pace with which Germany managed to construct and hyperlink up its first floating gasoline terminal to switch misplaced provides of Russian gasoline ought to function a mannequin for a brand new, pacier German financial system, Chancellor Olaf Scholz mentioned on the terminal’s opening.
- Moldova has reached a short-term power deal that may assist wean certainly one of Europe’s poorest nations off its dependence on Russian pure gasoline, a senior official mentioned.
- The newest spherical of European Union sanctions towards Russia over Ukraine will simply exacerbate issues inside the bloc, a spokeswoman for the Russian Overseas Ministry mentioned.